Friday, April 15, 2011

Finding Your Power without Your Voice

This past December, the ladies at my church held a Quiet Day in preparation for Advent.  We all met at 9:00 in the morning for some bagels, fruit and coffee then headed over to the main church to start our quiet time.  From that point on, 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., we were to be absolutely silent.  I wasn’t sure what to expect but I just knew I wasn’t going to be able to be around a bunch of folks I liked and not share or comment.  I get a sense of security from hearing my own voice.

The only voice heard, though, was from Pastor Carol whose used it to be distinct yet soothing as she lead us into meditation.  She shared with us an eye-opening explanation of Mary’s invitation and response to becoming the mother of Jesus Christ.  There was really a lot there to reflect on as I listened to what kind of young woman Mary was perceived to be.  The one thing that struck me the most about this story was that Mary had to take a moment to make that big decision.  I mean, an angel appears before you, tells you, you are chosen to have God’s baby and you pause?  I can think of so many responses I would give and that one would not necessarily be it.  But the lesson in this is that we react out of emotion.  So often we let that take over and then we make decisions based on that emotion instead of actual logic.  Of course, this story doesn’t quite fit the logic of things as we know life to be today.  But who’s to say we should act any differently to anything? 

Quite frankly, the entire experience from bagels to the soup at lunchtime was invigorating!  I would have never thought I could go a day or even half the day without uttering a single word.  But it was really nice not to.  Allowing my emotions to balance out with my mental sensibilities brought about a peace I seldom experience.

There was some restlessness and energy that didn’t want to allow this but it was easier than I expected to slip into a quiet, peaceful place.  I listened, took a few notes as my thoughts worked their way into an easy flow and finally something happened.  I felt free to just “be.”  I didn't have to hear myself say anything to be okay with where I was in the day.

We had about 20 minutes between each 15 minute talks to contemplate what we took from the words spoken.  I took this time to walk around the mahogany church or find a cozy chair in the rector’s lounge to continue falling deeper into myself.  Then the reverend would ring a chime indicating it was time to rejoin the group for another installment.  Oddly enough, it was similar to what I’ve seen Tibetan or Benedictine monks do daily.  And then it dawned on me: this is something that really should be incorporated into my daily routine.  Easier said than done, huh?

After communing with the ladies, I had to return to my busy little home of three men; my husband, my teenager and my preschooler.  Its tough to juggle; no but-s about it.  However, they all need to take their own quiet time because its not just moms who need to find their center.  We all do.  When we take that time, we find we make sound judgments that carry us through the day.  It allows us to create opportunities to be more productive and less stressed.  And lastly, we can experience another level of ourselves that remain hidden far too often.  I bet if we did find that quiet person inside, we would bring more joy to the visible life we lead and joy to the others who share in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment